Whether you’re new to using an insulin pump or a seasoned pro, you might be wondering if there’s a time of day that’s most ideal to do a pod/site change.
And I’m here to tell you…there isn’t a one-size-fits-all answer. (Sorry!)
Like many aspects of life with diabetes, the best time to do a pod change will be different for everyone.
However, I do feel pretty strongly about what works best for me, and I can explain why it does. Maybe that will help you or a T1D in your life decide what makes the most sense for your individual situation!
In my opinion, the best time to change my pod is within the 3-hour window after I’ve eaten dinner. Since I typically eat at about 5:30/6 o’clock, this means that I like to change my pod no later than 9 o’clock at night (but preferably sometime around 8).
Here are the reasons why:
- I can take my dinnertime bolus using a pod that I know for certain is acting the way it should.
- That timeframe is early enough for me to verify that my new pod is acting the way it should before I go to bed.
- Usually, I don’t eat much in the evenings after dinner, so even if my new pod isn’t working right, it’s not too big of a deal because it’s not like I’ll be bolusing for mealtime carbohydrates.
- When I change my pod at other times of the day, it interrupts other aspects of my daily flow (e.g., my wake-up time or my work schedule).
- There’s something to be said for ending my day with a fresh pod and incorporating the pod change into my bedtime wind-down routine.
Of course, I’ve had to change my pod at less-than-ideal times (I recently did a 6 A.M. pod change because I was deliberately wearing my pod for the maximum 80 hours and it was not my favorite way to start my day). Pods fail or get knocked off and I’ve learned to roll with the punches by having back-ups at all times.
But since I know my best time for a pod change, it’s really nice when I can stick with it…because any reliable aspect of life with diabetes is one that makes it ever-so-slightly more tolerable.
2 thoughts on “The Best Time to Do a Pod Change”
I like changing my set in the afternoon. Of course i like it best when I can loads of sympathy form Sheryl You know when i cry I and stomp my feet, collapse on the floor yelling mommy, mommy , mommy help me please, it is not the same without Sheryl here to hold me and tell me I will OK. I mean if my mommy were here, it would be better of course, but Sheryl is pretty good.
LikeLiked by 1 person
LOL! Bless Sheryl!!!